With its ability to lessen pain and muscle tension and increase relaxation, massage therapy is an integral part of integrative medicine.
When used together with other pain management modalities, such as physical therapy and chiropractic care, massage therapy can speed recovery and often provide rapid pain relief.
For those suffering from chronic pain, or recovering from injury, we’ve found massage therapy to be an effective part of many patients’ treatment plans.
WHAT IS MASSAGE THERAPY?
Massage therapy is performed by a trained, certified medical professional called a massage therapist. The therapist uses varying degrees of movement and pressure to manipulate the soft tissues of your body. They work with muscle, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments, and skin to provide multiple benefits, including:
- Increased relaxation
- Improved immune function
- Easing of pain and muscle tension
- Reduction of stress
Massage therapy is a beneficial treatment often used along with other modalities to provide pain relief and healing.
OUR BODIES FUNCTION BETTER WITH LESS TENSION AND STRESS
Walking around with tension and stress takes a toll on your body. It’s similar to going through your day while carrying a backpack full of rocks on your shoulders. You might feel this way if you have an important deadline coming up at work, or if you’re worried about a family matter.
This extra strain isn’t healthy for you and can lead to fatigue, anxiety, and depression, along with other health concerns.
There are clear connections between our stress levels and our overall health and wellness. Stress can affect our bodies, our moods, and our behaviors in profound ways, and can even increase your risk of developing certain diseases.
Here are just some of the ways stress can take a toll on you and your life:
Effects on the body include:
- Muscle tension or pain
- Chest pain
- Upset stomach
- Change in sex drive
Effects on the mood include:
- Lack of motivation or focus
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Anger or irritability
- Sadness or depression
Effects on behaviors include:
- Overeating or undereating
- Angry outbursts
- Social withdrawal
- Not exercising as much
Imagine being able to ease the effects of stress and tension through massage therapy in a calm, comfortable environment. Our massage therapists at OC Wellness Physicians Medical Group can help you live a more relaxed, healthier lifestyle. Easing both tension and pain, and helping you meet your personal health goals.
OVERCOME BOTH MENTAL AND PHYSICAL CONDITIONS
The mental benefits of massage therapy are so beneficial, but massage therapy also helps improve many physical ailments and their symptoms. In particular, massage therapy can help relieve the pain and symptoms associated with:
- Low back pain
- High blood pressure
Of course, massage therapy isn’t the sole intervention for treating these conditions, but many patients experience increased relief and faster progress when massage is a part of their treatment plan.
TYPES OF MASSAGES WE OFFER
There are many different massage modalities used to treat various issues, including acute and chronic pain. Our expert massage therapists implement a variety of techniques, including:
- Swedish massage: a gentle, full-body massage to help relieve stress, reduce muscle tightness and allow you to fully relax.
- Deep tissue massage: uses more pressure than a Swedish massage. This type of massage helps relieve tension from the deepest layers of your muscles and connective tissues.
- Sports massage: focuses on body areas that need specific attention. This technique helps increase flexibility and performance to prevent injuries.
- Trigger point massage: concentrates on tight areas that may cause pain in other parts of the body. Relieving the tightness can help reduce and manage chronic pain.
- Aromatherapy massage: uses specific natural scents along with massage to provide another layer of relaxation and pain relief with a mindful component.
- Pregnancy massage: helps relieve some of the physical discomforts, body aches, and stress associated with a growing, changing body.
When it comes to choosing what type of massage may work best for you, our skillful therapists will work with you to determine which style is best for your specific need.
WHAT SYMPTOMS AND CONDITIONS DOES MASSAGE THERAPY TREAT?
Using massage therapy can dramatically relieve pain and other symptoms associated with many common ailments, such as:
- Arm, Elbow, & Hand Pain or Numbness
- Arthritis & Osteoarthritis
- Auto Injury
- Back Pain
- Bulging Disc & Herniated Disc
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & Wrist Pain
- Chronic Pain
- Degenerative Disc Disorder
- Fibromyalgia Pain
- Headaches & Migraines
- Joint Pain
- Myofascial Pain
- Neck Pain
- Personal Injury
- Pinched Nerves
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Sciatic Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Spinal Stenosis
- Sports Injury
- TMJ – Temporomandibular Joint Pain
- Work Injury
Because massage therapy has such widespread benefits for your body and mind, it’s a common addition to the individualized holistic care plans we create for our patients.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING MY FIRST MASSAGE?
At OC Wellness Physicians Medical Group, we take pride in using a well-rounded, holistic approach to your care. Our massage therapists work hand-in-hand with our chiropractors, medical doctors, and physical therapy staff to provide comprehensive patient care.
We believe that a combination of treatments, when necessary, can provide better overall results for our patients. We’ll work with you to create a personalized plan for your health, including examinations, tests, and X-rays if needed.
Here’s what you can expect during your massage therapy appointment:
- Your massage therapist will review your personalized plan.
- You’ll be greeted and escorted to a private, calm room.
- If you’re getting a full body massage, you’ll get undressed to your comfort level and lie under a sheet.
- During the massage, your massage therapist will only uncover the areas of your body that they’re currently working on.
- You can talk to your massage therapist as much as you would like during your massage (or not talk at all).
- Relax and enjoy the muscle-relieving experience.
Massage therapy is an important component of your comprehensive health plan. It complements many other pain management modalities, such as physical therapy and chiropractic care.
Don’t let stress and tension interfere with your recovery and pain management goals. At OC Wellness Physicians Medical Group, our priority is to treat and manage your symptoms for immediate relief and long-term success.
Let’s get you feeling good again!